Planet Nexus
RANDOM comments - Printable Version

+- Planet Nexus (https://planetnexus.net/community)
+-- Forum: Planet Control (https://planetnexus.net/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://planetnexus.net/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: RANDOM comments (/showthread.php?tid=1)

RE: RANDOM comments - Skyon Archer - 11-26-2019

Ryan was the master of reviewing sites. With his absence, there simply isn't staff here that can dedicate the time for these.

As for promotion of NexAds and the system as a whole . . . . I have it lathered all over the 'net on site's I frequent. I know Helena has it on site's she visits. We are listed with Google and Bing (Yahoo) Webmaster Tools.

Also, the system itself is promotion. All products have the lovely "Powered by NexAds" on it :)

RE: RANDOM comments - Jane - 11-26-2019

I miss Ryan’s analysis of our forums I must admit. He put a lot of time and effort into them. I certainly appreciated mine when I was with ZB. Speaking of which...does anyone miss ZB? I miss the support forum and all the chat, themes etc.  Some good times were had.

Today is has piddled down all day. Getting sick of rain now. Seriously soggy.

RE: RANDOM comments - Sandy - 11-26-2019

Yea, miss not having a zeta site, it was a sad day when Brandon sold out to crapatalk, I only went back there after the conversion to save what I could for the new site, they still haven't properly converted my old zeta site and I moaned about it at least 5 times, at least I've saved what I could, I only had codes for themes I couldn't get, but they're no good now, just like all the codes fr other little add oms.. It's kind of a shame no one else has done a similar software to Zetaboards, it was a lot easier to use than some sites out there IMO.. I lost about 140,000 ad free point thingies in that take over which really bugged me..

RE: RANDOM comments - Jane - 11-26-2019

forummotion is fairly simple to use. Tons of free themes to choose from.
Lots of other free sites have been snapped up by crapatalk it seems.

RE: RANDOM comments - Skyon Archer - 11-26-2019

Not to beat this topic to death but paid hosting is the only way to go.

MyBB itself isn't hard to use, in my opinion. I am pretty good at modifying the code to achieve what I'm looking for.

I don't really care for phpBB. The ACP is junk, old, outdated and hard to use. Again, in my opinion.

SMF has a fairly easy ACP but is hard to modify.
Xenforo is hard.
Invision Community Board is hard to modify but has an easy ACP. Easy that is if you don't have all of the modules they offer. Then it's very expensive and hard to manage.

Guess I'm a MyBB fella. Like I said, with paid hosting and server access to the files, I can pretty much do anything with it.

Take Planet Nexus, for example, I have integrated a completely hand-written advertisement site with the mybb member database and forum itself. There's a lot going on in the background but it's all entwined into one another.

Yep, MyBB it is :)

RE: RANDOM comments - Helena - 11-27-2019

I'm by no means an expert, but from the standpoint of someone that always has a long learning curve for technical stuff, I agree that myBB is the most admin friendly of the systems I've checked out. The worst was phpbb. Totally unfriendly, intimidating and particularly challenging if you want to do any kind of theme customization. That was actually an understatement. It is so difficult to modify themes on that system, that they basically advise you not to try.

At least I've been able to find my way around myBB with some success (and lots of expert help from Archer. :) )

RE: RANDOM comments - Skyon Archer - 11-27-2019

I wrote a plugin for MyBB that I have used at Jane's forum.

I'm considering releasing it at MyBB.

Basically, you can activate the plugin and in the settings you can turn it on/off, put the address of a blog (rss feed) and set how many items (posts) you want to display on your forum. The default placement will be at the bottom of the Board Statistics. To see it in action, visit Jane's Forum and scroll to the bottom of the index page.

It is pulling three posts from her blog. It also will pull the "featured image" and display it or will put a default icon instead if no featured image is present.

Yes. Me likey MyBB :D

RE: RANDOM comments - Sandy - 11-27-2019

(11-27-2019, 12:41 AM)Helena Wrote:  I'm by no means an expert, but from the standpoint of someone that always has a long learning curve for technical stuff, I agree that myBB is the most admin friendly of the systems I've checked out. The worst was phpbb. Totally unfriendly, intimidating and particularly challenging if you want to do any kind of theme customization. That was actually an understatement. It is so difficult to modify themes on that system, that they basically advise you not to try.

At least I've been able to find my way around myBB with some success (and lots of expert help from Archer. :) )

Agree about PHBB, it did my head in trying to figure iit gave up begore learning a thing..

RE: RANDOM comments - Sandy - 11-27-2019

Third time asking.. Why isn't this site being promoted out there in internet land? It could get a load more members advertising their sites and a lot more visitors wanting to join a new site, a pity more people don't know about Nexus IMO..

RE: RANDOM comments - Jane - 11-27-2019

Sandy, it is being advertised. For one thing it’s on twitter. For another ,every user who has the nexus bar installed, is advertising it. All the bots that visit advertise it. It IS being advertised.

As for the subject of phpBB..grrrrr. The permissions!! gahhhhh! How anyone works them out is beyond me. Terrible. Nope...glad I’m with myBB, not the free one either. You get more with the downloaded version and paid for hosting...with....the awesome Skyon Archer! I mean who else... :bow: