Planet Nexus
RANDOM comments - Printable Version

+- Planet Nexus (https://planetnexus.net/community)
+-- Forum: Planet Control (https://planetnexus.net/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://planetnexus.net/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: RANDOM comments (/showthread.php?tid=1)

RE: RANDOM comments - Sandy - 10-06-2019

Kind of makes sense to my non tech old brain.. A malicious bot could conceivably cause a DOS attack of sorts.. The 200 GB you mention adds up to a truckload of data over a day/week/month, even really good powerful servers may have trouble handling it if all the various sites are busy at the time I guess..

RE: RANDOM comments - Skyon Archer - 10-06-2019

Exactly, that's why they cut out some of the server side stuff to minimize usage. It's smart on their part but not so good for you as the end user.

You loose a lot of standard features that a minimal cost of personal hosting could overcome.

Well, as of now, you seem to be limited to how you can track those pesky bots on your current site :)

RE: RANDOM comments - Sandy - 10-06-2019

I was wondering if a code could be added to somewhere like the CSS that would show what bots had been online, and if it'd be reliable?

I remember Jcink was good in that we could turn on or off the bots from showing, there was a semi reasonable amount of bots we could choose from, possibly Google and Yandex were among the best, Baidu was there, I guess they're good bots, Chinese I think? If so their bots could get us to a decent amount of people.. I didn't like Jcink in a few ways, but their ability to show what bots had been online was good, I liked that we could set it up to show what browsers and whether folk were using Microsoft or some other OS too like Linux or whatever..

RE: RANDOM comments - Skyon Archer - 10-07-2019

(10-06-2019, 09:59 PM)Sandy Wrote:  I was wondering if a code could be added to somewhere like the CSS that would show what bots had been online, and if it'd be reliable?
Nope, no such code.

Best bet, get a paid hosting so you can have full advantage of the software.

RE: RANDOM comments - Sandy - 10-07-2019

Can't afford it unfortunately.. :(

RE: RANDOM comments - Sandy - 10-09-2019

Strange, looks like NyBB have done an upgrade, I just logged on to my new site and found a Google avatar on there in the guests list, I haven't found a way of getting the bots to show as yet so it was kind of strange seeing the big Google avatar there..

RE: RANDOM comments - Sandy - 10-10-2019

It's a fun morning here seeing it's wet, so far one desktop and one laptop, (both Windows 10 have been updated, a disc clean and defrag done on both, the tablets been updated too, I'm now doing my old Windows 7 laptop, a pity it's got such a small screen or I'd use it a lot more, IMO Windows 7 is better than Windows 10, I find it a lot easier finding things so I can change settings and stuff, doing things on Windows 10 sometimes makes me feel I've run a marathon getting to some settings and such.. Bring back an easy to use OS like XP Professional I say, that was dead easy peezy to use, I rarely had any problems with it, Windows 10 loves giving the blue screen for no apparent reason, XP Pro never did that to me from the time it was released until they stopped supporting it..

RE: RANDOM comments - Skyon Archer - 10-11-2019

I agree 100%

XP Professional was the one to use.  10 is great if you want a touch screen and fancy finger actions, but for ease of use just give me XP.

Don't even get me started on smack, I mean Mac! :D

RE: RANDOM comments - Sandy - 10-11-2019

Hive the Mac's a short throw out a very high window, the few times I tried using them they were c rap, XP Pro first here, then Windoze 7 for ease of usse.. I wonder how many people actually use all the c rap that's on things like Windoze 19? I suspect the majority of folk would just use their browser, whichever they've chosen as a fovourite, an email app and occasionally something like word, powerpoint or Excel, having the rest of the stuff it offers is wasted..

RE: RANDOM comments - Sandy - 10-11-2019

Ping 10 Download 105.03 Upload 26.78

Not bad for an old computer that needs a disc clean and defrag..